Sunday, November 8, 2009

1930's Recipes

My Grandma handed me a cookbook this weekend. It was compiled by the uncle of a distant relative. In the front of the cookbook is some history about threshing and the days when farmers depended upon their neighbors to help with their harvest. It also talks about the food women cooked for their threshing neighbors. The recipes are from his grandmother, mother, and aunts.

There is just something about family recipes that excites me. Even though it's not my family--I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes! One thing I love about this cookbook: since the recipes are from the 1930's and earlier, this is real cooking. No boxed mixes involved. It has the feel of a pioneer cookbook or something!

After I use some of these recipes, they may appear here. Two of the things that sound yummy are Apple Upside-Down Cake, and Blueberry Dumplings. It's going to be fun!

1 comment:

Peter L said...

You mean they didn't tear off the plastic cover and put the food in the microwave in the 1930s? How archaic! 8-O