Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Grandma's cookin'

I just don't get it. She does everything wrong, according to the "experts." She doesn't measure everything carefully. She doesn't follow recipes precisely. Yet, my Grandma's pizza is the stuff of legends. If food could be divine, her rolls would be. Her fudge is a definition. Grandma's cooking is proof that a grandmother's touch is more important than all the rules in the books.
And so, my fellow novices, there is hope for you and me: when we are grandmothers, perhaps our food will be legendary as well.

1 comment:

Peter L said...

Ah, yes, grandma's cooking. You have heard me talk of my grandma's habichuelas (red beans). No one knows how she did it, but no one has duplicated them to my knowledge. I asked her for the recipe once, but she did not have one.

And one need not wait to have grandchildren to be a great cook. After all, your grandmother's pizza and rolls have been "legend" since before you were born.