Friday, June 9, 2017

Imitation Maple Syrup








Although I grew up making and eating this syrup every Saturday night (pancakes were Saturday's dinner in our house), I haven't made it very much in recent years.  However, my husband and I love to eat granola for breakfast and we go through about a batch a week.  My recipe calls for maple syrup or honey, but both can add up to such a high cost that we might as well buy granola!  I made this syrup specifically for making granola, but it's good on pancakes and French toast.  ☺

It's quite simple, and it doesn't take long. If you're making granola you can use the same pan to melt the butter after making the syrup.

Imitation Maple Syrup
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon maple flavor (or a different flavor to make it interesting)

Bring all ingredients to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Simmer, covered, for two minutes. If storing in mason jars, pour while hot and the lids will seal. (I find that this recipe generally fills three half-pint [jelly] jars, and it's pre-measured for granola!)

This syrup is about the same consistency as real maple syrup; it is nothing like the thick, high fructose corn syrup nastiness you can buy in the breakfast aisle.

No comments: